Saturday, March 31, 2012

Day Job & Your Passion - Terry

We want to showcase the day jobs that our members have and still keep up with their sewing. We are looking for more people if you want to be interviewed. There is a post in the team discussions on Etsy.

Terry from Terry Aske Art Quilts graciously offered to be the first interviewee. Here is how Terry spends a good portion of her week.

What is your day job?

I'm an an accountant by education, and have worked most of my career in the Canadian credit union system in finance and administration roles. I'm currently working 3 days a week at a small credit union in Vancouver which provides financial services for co-operatives, community businesses and the non-profit sector. My title is Manager, Administration and Business Development, but my duties run the gamut from ordering office supplies to preparing financial statements, supporting our banking system, covering for other managers and support staff.

Favorite part about your job?

With a total staff complement of 15 people, we're a very small organization, and in addition to my regular duties, I have the opportunity to be involved in almost every aspect of the organization. It makes the job really interesting! My other favorite part is my schedule of 3 days a week, which gives me time to quilt!


What would it take for you to quit your day job and sew/quilt full time?

In 2005, after working full-time for many years, I had the opportunity to retire with a good severance package. For about 6 months, I was quilting full-time. That was great, but I found I missed the daily contact and challenge of my day job. So when the part-time position was offered to me, I jumped at it. I'm really happy with the balance I have now between working and quilting and personal time.

How long have you been quilting?


I've been sewing clothes since I was 13 years old, and dabbling in many crafts since kindergarten. But I wasn't really aware of quilting until 1998, when a friend invited me to a one day quilting course. I loved the concept of creating with fabric, and very quickly started designing my own art quilts.


Show off one of your favorite creations.


This is one of my most recent art quilts, in honor of the Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival. See below.

What is your favorite tool or notion?

I love using Steam-a-Seam Lite for appliqued portraits.

What is your favorite fabric line or designer?


I couldn't possibly narrow it down to just one. I buy whatever ever fabric appeals to me, often just to add to my stash.

Anything else we should know?


Even when I am working on one project, I am usually daydreaming about possibilities for the next project. Having the Etsy shop motivates me to keep creating and to finish each project I start. It provides me with a forum where I can show my creativity to a wide audience.
www.terryaskeartquilts.com I also enter my quilts in juried shows. I have had quilts accepted at the Canadian Quilters’ Association National Juried Show and the International Quilt Festival.

No comments: